MCAS Testing and Calendar 2023
Students in Grades 3, 4, and 5 will participate in MCAS testing in March, April, and May. Here is some information about the testing:
- All tests take place in the morning, starting no later then 9:30.
- No testing will occur on an Early Release Day (Wednesdays).
- There are 2 sessions of testing for each subject area–English Language Arts, Mathematics, and Science and Engineering (grade 5 only).
- All testing is performed on the computer.
- The tests are not timed. Most students will finish each test in one to two hours. Those needing more time will have it provided in an alternative, quiet space.
- The tests involve multiple choice questions, short answer questions, and open response questions which may require writing answers in several well constructed paragraphs.
- Some changes may be made in the scheduling of Spanish, art, music, physical education, and library classes to accommodate the testing.
Here are some suggestions on how you can help your child come to school prepared to give his/her best effort on MCAS testing days:
- If your child is anxious about the tests, please assure him/her that the teachers have taught what is needed for the students to be successful.
- Please make sure your child gets plenty of sleep prior to the tests.
- Please give your child a hearty breakfast to start the day and pack nutritious snacks to enjoy during testing breaks.
- Please make sure your child arrives at school on time. MCAS testing usually begins before 9:30 in the morning.
- Please ensure your child has a book to read quietly if he/she finishes the testing early.
Included below is the tentative MCAS testing schedule for Spring 2023 (updated December 19, 2022).
- March 27 and 28 – ELA Testing
- May 4 and 5 – Math Testing
- March 30 and 31 – ELA Testing
- May 15 and 16 – Math Testing
- April 10 and 11 – ELA Testing
- May 9 and 11 – Math Testing
- May 18 and 19 – Science and Engineering Testing