About Our School
History of Alcott Elementary School
Opened in the fall of 1951, the original Alcott School consisted of a kindergarten wing, a nine-room wing housing grades one to three, and a multi-purpose room. In 1955, a gymnasium, auditorium, and eleven classrooms were added.
While most assume that Alcott was named for Louisa May Alcott, the truth is that it was named for her father, Bronson, who served as the Superintendent of Concord schools in the nineteenth century. Bronson was a writer and philosopher of some renown, whose ideas on education and child-rearing have led to his being viewed by some as the father of American child psychology.
In September 2002, ground was broken for a new Alcott School building. The achievement of this project was the result of thousands of hours put in by space and building committee volunteers. The design process took two years, and included input by teachers, parents, neighbors, school administrators, budget advisors, environmental experts, as well as architects and construction firms. The new two-story Alcott School opened in September 2004. The building’s beautiful hallways and state-of-the-art classrooms are home to almost 100 adults who take pride in inspiring young minds.
Alcott Elementary School is a caring, cooperative, respectful community of learners.
- We think, learn, listen and give our best effort in the classroom.
- We share, cooperate and work together with kindness and respect.
- We use indoor voices and move safely.
- We make thoughtful and responsible choices.
- We keep ourselves and others safe.
- We respect our school community.
Alcott School At A Glance
- Opened: September 2004
- School Type: Public Elementary
- Grades: Kindergarten through Grade 5
- Enrollment: 400 students
- Average Class Size: 16 students
- 3 Kindergarten Classrooms
- 3 First Grade Classrooms
- 4 Second Grade Classrooms
- 4 Third Grade Classrooms
- 4 Fourth Grade Classrooms
- 4 Fifth Grade Classrooms
Instructional time begins at 9:00 am, and any child who enters after that time will be marked as ‘Tardy’, and be required to check in at the Main Office for a ‘late slip’, before going to class.
- Kindergarten – Grade 5
- 8:50 AM – 9:00 AM Arrival
- 9:00 AM – 3:30 PM Full Days (Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday)
- 9:00 AM – 12:30 PM Early Release Day (Wednesday)
Please visit the District Calendar page for more information.
Information About School Cancellations
For school cancellation and delayed opening information, please visit the District Website.