Resources For Parents & Teachers
- KidsClick! A subject directory (search 600+ subjects) which offers free websites selected by librarians for their quality, accuracy, and authority. It can help students find background information, or ideas for research.
- KidsKonnect A safe Internet gateway for kids created and maintained by educators. Search by Alphabetized List or Subject Index.
- Quintura for Kids Search terms are displayed in interactive "word clouds" of related keywords and phrases intended to help kids narrow or broaden their searches more visually.
- American Library Association
- Anita Silvey's Children's Book-A-Day Almanac Daily children's book recommendations from children's book expert, Anita Silvey, for toddlers to teens arranged by age, genre, and theme. Also includes events, trivia, and more.
- Atlapedia Full color physical and political maps, and facts and statistics on countries of the world.
- Biographical Dictionary Geared to students and covers over 28,000 notable men and women. Offers a "Master Biographer Challenge" interactive quiz, and links to other biography-related websites.
- Canadian Children's Book Centre The website is designed to help you choose a book for your child to read based on their reading ability, age, etc.
- Carol Hurst's Children's Literature Site
- The Children's Book Council
- Common Sense Media This website improves the lives of kids and families by providing independent reviews, age ratings, & other information about all types of media.
- Guys Read Author Jon Scieszka's website filled with advice to motivate boys to read.
- I'm Your Neighbor Books A resource listing books from different regions of the world and with multicultural themes.
- KidsReads This site offers a place for parents and children to explore books and their reviews.
- KidSpace @ The Internet Public Library Use this for kids' general reference needs. It includes links to encyclopedias, almanacs, and other sites for homework help or just looking things up.
- Merriam-Webster & Merriam-Webster's Word Central
- Minuteman Public Library Network At your fingertips are materials from 41 public and academic libraries, a MA Virtual Catalog, and a variety of databases and Internet resources.
- Open Circle Begun in 1987, a program of the Wellesley Centers for Women at Wellesley College designed to address K-5 social and emotional learning, and which we are proud to participate in. Web site describes philosophy, curriculum, and includes resources, newsletters, and information about training programs.
- PBS LearningMedia Tap into America's #1 Educational Media Brand for access to thousands of innovative, standards-aligned digital resources designed to enrich classroom instruction and build one-of-a-kind learning experiences.
- Read Kiddo Read Founded by author James Patterson with a mission to make kids readers for life. Books are divided into 4 age categories, and then divided into 4 genre classifications with reviews, and related titles. Also offered are links to author/illustrator Web sites, author interviews, discussions, and more.
- Reading Rockets Provides information on how young children learn to read, why many struggle, and how caring adults can help. Included are features such as video clips of authors, and children's literature fun quizzes. Funded by a grant from the U.S. Department of Education.
- RIF Reading Planet (Reading Is Fundamental)
- Ruff Ruffman Humble Media Genius Created by PBS Kids, this site has videos and games about online safety.
- The Center on Media & Child Health Children's Hospital Boston, Harvard Medical School, and Harvard School of Public Health Website dedicated to understanding and responding to the effects of media on the physical, mental, and social health of children.
- Vandergrift's Children's Literature Page
- World Book Online Remember to use cpshome as the username and patriots as the password.
- Alcott Library Professional Book Collection
- Graphic Organizers
- I.N.K. Interesting Nonfiction For Kids A blog featuring outstanding nonfiction writers for children.
- Kathy Schrock's Homepage
- Map Machine
- Outline Maps
- PBS Teacher Source
- Epic! Books
- Invention Dimension Created by Massachusetts Institute of Technology, this site is for learning about inventors and their discoveries. Features include "Inventor of the Week", and an Inventor Archive to browse alphabetically by inventor's last name, or by invention category.
- Presidents of the United States Information on each of the U.S. Presidents with links to biographies, historical documents, audio & video files, and other presidential sites.
- World Flag Database The Flag Institute offers country, state, province, and national organization flags with printable graphics. Also includes information on countries such as population, currency, and capitals.