September 1, 2017
Alcott News from the Desk of the Principal
September 1, 2017
We have had a wonderful start to the school year! I saw many smiling faces attached to students who were eager to get back to school.
Arrival/Dismissal Times: The students begin to transition to their classrooms at 8:50 AM. All students should be in their classrooms by 9:00 AM and will be dismissed at 3:30 PM. Every Tuesday is an early release day with students leaving at 12:30. Kindergarten students have an early release on Thursday too. Please make note of the arrival and dismissal times.
Parent’s Driving to School:
- If you plan to drive your child, please drop off your child in the Drop-Off area. The Drop-Off area is labeled as you drive into the school parking lot on the right. Please enter the first driveway, stop at the curb to allow your child to exit the car on the curbside, and then drive out to exit.
- Please do not park in that area in the morning because it creates a hazard for others.
- If you would like to walk your child to the front door, please park your car in a parking space and walk your child to the front door.
- Cars are not allowed on the road in front of the school, which is considered a bus lane, during arrival and dismissal times.
- It is against the law to drive by buses with their lights flashing. Thank you for helping to keep all students safe.
Back to School Night for Grades 3 through 5 Parents is on Tuesday, September 12 from 7 – 8:30 PM. We will begin in the Auditorium at 7 PM. This is designed to be an adult only night.
Back to School Night for Kindergarten through Grade 2 Parents is Wednesday, September 13 from 7 – 8:30 PM. We will begin in the Auditorium at 7 PM. This is designed to be an adult only night.
SAC and PTG Sponsored New Parent Night: Are you feeling like you are new to Alcott? Do you want to meet people? Please join us for the New Parent Night on Thursday, October 5th from 7 – 8:30 p.m. PTG and SAC members (faculty members, parents, and community members) will be attending this annual event. We will be sending out an invitation and R.S.V.P. shortly.
Spanish Instruction for all students will begin on the 2nd of October. The Elementary Spanish Teachers are hard at work developing and organizing their curriculum to ensure a smooth and successful start on the 2nd of October. Alcott’s Spanish Teacher, Rachel Washa, is becoming familiar with the teachers and students as she prepares her curriculum.
New School Psychologist Intern: Joining us for the 2017-2018 school year is School Psychologist Intern, Rebecca Corshia, who is working to earn her Certificate of Advanced Graduate Studies (C.A.G.S.) in School Psychology. She will be working closely with Brigette Sayles and Sherree Foye to assist with social skills groups, friendship groups, conduct cognitive and social-emotional assessments, and design and implement incentive plans for students. Please join me in welcoming Rebecca to the Alcott community.
Picture Day is on Wednesday, October 18, with a rain date of Friday, October 20.
Parents-at-Lunch is offered on the last Friday of each month. We have limited slots for each lunch, and parents may sign up on line to participate in this event through the PTG website. Each parent will need an approved CORI on file. We request that younger children not attend and that any food brought in is not shared with other students. The first Parents at Lunch event is on September 29th. Thank you!
Changes to your child’s dismissal plans: Please send in an Alcott Dismissal Note with your child if you plan to change his/her dismissal plans for that day. Sample Dismissal Notes are online at the Alcott School website or on the PTG website (alcottowl.org). If an emergency arises during the day and parents need to change their child’s dismissal plan, please notify the front office by 2:30 PM. Only emergency dismissals will be accepted after 2:30, because we cannot guarantee that we can notify your child’s teacher of that change. Thank you for your assistance with this matter.
Information from the Nurse:
- Peanut/Tree Nut Free Snacks: Due to the large number of students with food allergies, all snacks eaten in the classrooms will need to be peanut/tree nut free. Please check the ingredient labels on all of your child’s snacks for the possibility of peanut and/or nut ingredients or for a cross-contamination warning, such as “made in a plant where peanut and/or nut products are processed”. We have peanut/tree nut tables available during lunchtime, so students will be able to eat peanut products at that time. Thank you in advance for your assistance with keeping all students safe.
- Physical Exam Request for 4th Grade Students – All incoming fourth graders must have a copy of a current physical dated after January 1, 2017. If your child has their physical scheduled for the fall, please send a copy of their most current physical now and then again when they have had their physical after the start of school. This information is due by the 14th of September.
- Incoming Kindergarten and New students: All required medical documents are due to the Nurse by the 13th of September for your child to continue to attend school. Thank you in advance for assisting us with meeting this deadline.
Free and Reduced Lunch paperwork: If you are eligible for this support, please obtain the form from the District Website and submit it as soon as possible. Parents have to re-apply each year for this support.
Children’s Blood Drive and Bone Marrow Drive: On September 19th from 1 – 6 PM, we will be having a Blood Drive and Bone Marrow Drive to support Children’s Hospital. More information will be coming soon!
September 4 – No School
September 12 – Back to School Night GR 3 – 5
September 13 – PTG Meeting at 9:00 AM
September 13 – Back to School Night K – 2
September 15 – School Spirit Day – Gold Alcott Day – wear gold, yellow, or your Alcott attire
September 19 – Blood & Bone Marrow Drive
September 21 – No School – Rosh Hashanah
September 25 – Community Forum at Alcott with Superintendent Dr. Laurie Hunter at 7 PM
September 29 – Parents at Lunch
October 5 – New Parent Night
October 9 – No School – Columbus Day
October 11 – Field Trip – Kindergarten
October 12 – Children’s Program – STAR Lab – GR 5
October 13 – Field Trip – Kindergarten
October 13 – School Spirit Day – Funky Friday
October 14 – Alcott’s Fall Festival – more information to come
October 16 & 17 – Book Fair
October 18 – PTG Meeting
October 18 – Student Picture Day
October 25 – Children’s Program – GR 4
October 26 – Children’s Program – GR 3
October 27 – Parents at Lunch
October 31 – Turkey Trot